- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ cups soymilk or water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix together the dry ingredients and then stir in the wet ingredients. If the batter is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until reaching the desired consistency.
- Pour onto a pan with a nonstick surface and cook over medium heat, turning once when the edges begin to bubble and brown.
- 1 14-oz pack extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or vegan butter
- ½ lb white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 packed cup fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, diced
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric (for color)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble the tofu into and then sauté, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and seasonings. Lightly toss in the pan until well-cooked, about 5 more minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve hot.
Chorizo and Potato Frittata
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric (opt)
- 1 pack soy chorizo
- 3 small golden potatoes, diced and blanched
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- black salt for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400oF. Cook the soy chorizo, potatoes, onion, and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat. Blend tofu, soymilk, bouillon, mustard, salt, and turmeric until completely smooth.
- Once the onions are cooked, spread out in an 8-inch nonstick baking dish. Pour tofu mixture over chorizo and smooth. Top with vegan cheese and sliced bell peppers. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the frittata has pulled away from the sides. Sprinkle with the black salt just before serving.
Tofu French Toast
Makes 6-8 pieces
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- ½ cup soymilk or other nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon agave or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana
- 6-8 slices of bread
- vegan butter or mild flavored oil for cooking
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Blend all the ingredients except the bread on high until smooth. If too thick add a few tablespoons extra nondairy milk or water. Pour the coating mixture into a shallow dish and dip the bread, thoroughly coating both sides.
- Melt a teaspoon of oil or vegan butter on the hot skillet, then add your soaked bread.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip to cook the other side once when the edges begin to turn golden brown. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Serve with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or maple syrup.
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup oat or wheat bran
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp all-spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup raw grated carrots
- ⅓ cup vegan sugar or maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup mild oil or vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375oF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, bran, cornstarch, baking powder, and spices. Toss in the grated carrots. Add the water, maple syrup, and oil and mix gently.
- Spoon the batter by ¼ into a lightly oiled or lined muffin pan, filling each tin about ⅔ the way. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
Savory Breakfast Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 14 oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut crosswise into 8 slices
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- Vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread (optional)
- In a shallow baking dish, mix together the vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, oil, and ½ tsp. black pepper with a whisk. Place tofu slices in a single layer in the dish, then turn over to coat on all sides. Allow tofu to marinate for 20 minutes, turning slices occasionally.
- Place baking dish in a 450° oven for 20 minutes. Flip tofu slices over and continue to bake for an additional 10 – 20 minutes until crispy and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with oil or cooking spray. Sauté onion and garlic over medium-high heat until onion begins to soften. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they begin to brown. Add tomato, spinach, thyme, salt, and remaining black pepper. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and any liquid has evaporated, turning heat to medium-low if the vegetables are browning too quickly. Adjust seasoning.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread vegan margarine on English muffins, if using. Then add 2 Tbsp. of the cooked vegetables to the bottom half of each muffin. Top with 2 slices of tofu and evenly distribute the remaining vegetables on top of the tofu slices on all 4 sandwiches. Cover with the other muffin halves and press down to help keep vegetables from spilling out.